Last weekend my girlie & I got to go see Peter Pan Jr presented by Rose Children's Theater. It was so fantastic (& still playing this weekend, details below) & it got me thinking about why we should take our kids to local theater when we have the chance. this is the perfect time of the year, too, with so many of the dance & theater schools doing holiday productions.
Oh! & be sure to make it to the end, we've got an awesome theater giveaway going!
There are many more than 5 good reasons to take kids to local theater but here's a start...
1. Seeing real live kids from their city on stage, doing fun stuff is motivating. Whether or not they ever want to be a performer, watching other children do things with gusto might just get them thinking about what gets them excited. & if they do want to be a performer watching other kids shine will cement it, for sure.
2. Exposure to the arts is important. But live theater can be expensive, right? Thankfully children's theater is pretty affordable. Tickets run around $8 per ticket. Awesome considering adult theater often starts at $20. There are also lots of free opportunities to see live theater, especially in the summer.
3. It's totally fun to go out together! Dress up, try out your best theatre voice (pronounce it theata, of course :) & make some pretty fun memories.
4. The look on their faces as they watch. Watching live actors is mesmerizing & not something you see every day. Plus performances geared toward kids are full of action, dancing, singing, yelling, jumping around & generally being goofy & (of course) dramatic :)
5. A little manners training. We got to choose our own seats & we decide to sit higher up in the middle so we could see everything. The second we sat down my 8 year old daughter took off her shoes & put her feet on the seat in front of her (no one was in the seat, thank goodness) It was lovely time to remind her that, we were not, in fact, in our living room. Feet down, shoes on, whispers only, falling asleep is okay :)
To help you get started (or continue) on your theata journey we are super excited to get to give away 4 tickets to the stage production of Adventures in Narnia! The show is December 13 & 14 (twice on Saturday) & is such a wonderful holiday tradition here in Lane County!
To enter, comment here, on Instagram or on our Facebook post (or all three!) with your favorite stage show or musical! Hooray!
Upcoming stage shows in Lane County
(click on graphic for information on each show)
All Advent Amy At Home Books Camp Christmas Christy Cup Of Tee Downtown Emily Encouragement Eugene Fall Picks Farms Gift Guide Giveaway Halloween Happy Adventuring Healthy Kids Happy Homes Hike Hike Mom Hike Holiday Holiday Picks Inside Play Jenna Junction City Lane County Library Mama Makes Martial Arts Megan Merry Reviews Museum Music Outside Parent Interviews Parks Portland Pumpkin Patch Recipes RiverPlay Road Trip Shopping Springfield The Very Best Thrifting Water Feature Yearly Event